The Go Game Blog

The Go Game Blog

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Monday Music Club: Songs That Remind Us Of High School!

Remember how we started this Monday Music Club last week? Don't worry, we didn't forget about it. It's just that Monday was a bank holiday, Tuesday was...busy, and it's still Wednesday in the States right now. So anyway, without further ado, we present....Songs That Remind Us Of High School!

Instead of critical commentary on each other's songs like last week, this post will feature our own thoughts on the songs and the associated memories. Well...and maybe just a few added thoughts, cause Chris and I enjoy critically commenting on each other whenever possible. Enjoy the trip down memory lane circa 1996-2000!




Chris's Choices

1. Toadies – Possum Kingdom: I would always turn this song up on the radio and sing along as loud as I could. I'm sure my neighborhood appreciated it.

Mei: I feel the exact same way about this song. Who didn't LOVE singing along to this, even though it's seriously freaking creepy. No, I don't actually want to see your dark secret behind the boathouse, that's just weird.

2. Mighty Mighty Bosstones – The Impression That I Get : The supposed hidden meaning to this song made it sort of taboo at my all boys school. Doesn't stop it from having a sweet horn hook though.

Mei: Is it because I went to a coed public school that I have no idea what Chris is talking about?

3. Everclear – Santa Monica : Ah my best friend from high school (hopefully my other high school friends aren't reading this) and I have a thing about Everclear. Oh how I long for those carefree days when we didn't have any taste in music.

4. Counting Crows – Mr. Jones : This reminds me of a trip to the outer banks of North Carolina in 1998 when we listened to this album, August and Everything After. On repeat. For a week.

5. Sublime - Santeria : Oddly, this song reminds me of Easter becuase that's when my parents bought it for me. I'd like to think that they missed the camouflaged Parental Advisory sticker on the album cover.

Mei's Choices

1. Method Man and Mary J. Blige – You’re All I Need To Get By: I’m noticing that many of the songs chosen this week, as well as some from last week, remind me of one of my best friends, Rachel. Unsurprisingly, we spent a lot of time together in high school making mix tapes and carrying them around with us in old boomboxes. Cassette tapes? God, we’re ancient. Anyway, this is one of our classics. I had a biiig thing for Meth and I particularly enjoy his facial expressions in this video.

2. Outkast – 13th Floor/Growing Old : This song also reminds me of Rachel and our friends Kris and Kyle. We spent many a night sitting around, listening to this song and…uh…playing Monopoly (that’s a code word in case my mother ever reads this).

Chris: Well, let's put aside the 19th century theological leanings of the spoken intro and note that a 14 year old Mei was far more emotionally advanced than I am even today. Also, I always skipped this song on the album, it always brought me down.

3. Gravediggaz – 1-800-SUICIDE : This song reminds me of my brother, Andy. I owe much of my (fabulous) music taste to him and all his good hip-hop CDs back in high school. It’s kind of a weird song, but it’s awesome, especially the Ferris Bueller shoutout. Love you Andy!

4. Destiny’s Child – Bills, Bills, Bills : This song is all about my friend Lauren. A major high school activity consisted of driving around Brookline and Boston in her old school black Jeep Grand Cherokee, blasting music and sometimes stopping at red lights to get out and dance around the car. She always had the newest CDs and the best dance moves. I remember a particular instance of dancing to Eazy E outside the movie theater in Cleveland Circle…that song is so graphic it makes me blush now.

Chris: I get it Mei, you don't want me leeching off of you. Seriously though, can i have £100?

5. Backstreet Boys – I Want It That Way : Truly a high school classic. Another blaster for the car rides for sure. I have a specific memory of driving down my street with all my friends in the car singing at the top of our lungs, especially Rachel going ‘Yeah-eh-eh.’ Those were the days….

Chris: This song will now be stuck in all of our heads for days. Thanks Mei. I have to give you some credit though, it DID give us one of the better webcam videos of all time.

Hope you enjoy the songs! Either it'll take you back to your gawky adolescent phase, or it's just an insight into the twisted psyches of Chris and Mei. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment