The Go Game Blog

The Go Game Blog

Monday, June 1, 2009

Monday Music Club: Songs We've Been Obsessively Listening To

We’re back with an actually-on-Monday version of the Monday Music Club! This week’s theme is ‘Songs We’ve Been Obsessively Listening To Since Arriving In London. Check em out, kids.





Chris's Choices

1. Weezer – El Scorcho: Like many of my songs this week, I loved this song long before I came to London. It holds a special place in my heart currently because after each of my attempted sales I've been singing: I'LL BRING HOME THE TURKEY IF YOU BRING HOME THE BACON!

Mei - Lovelove this song. Definitely have a specific memory of doing a loud and drunken acapella rendition of this ENTIRE song with my friend Olivia at a Vietnamese restaurant in New York's West Village. I blame it on the unlimited wine. We did get the next table singing along though. And actually, we plan to start the world's first all-female Weezer cover band called either...get this...She-zer. Or Weez-her. HAHAHAHA. If any of you steal our idea we will come kill you. Or just destroy your sweater.

2. Sheena Easton – My Baby Takes The Morning Train : I blame The Breakfast Club - Hoxton for this one. It had been YEARS since I'd heard this song until I popped in for breakfast last week. It didn't quite get stuck in my head until the next morning when Mei and I met with Sanderson Jones...and they played it AGAIN (Sam). Then I sang it all weekend annoying all the people at BAFTA.

Mei - You know you’ve got a song stuck in your head when you go to a swanky networking event and start serenading people you’ve never met. This may have happened with this song last Friday. We didn’t even have the excuse of being sloshed (like the above time I started serenading strangers). By the way, next time you see Chris, ask him to do his finger-snapping hip swivel move to this song for you. It’s priceless.

3. The Verve – Lucky Man : I had totally forgotten about this song before I found it again on Youtube. Sadly, my friends back in the US didn't remember how amazingly frawesome it is.

4. Daft Punk – Something About Us : - Mei can probably see right through this choice, but I don't care. My iTunes (which hates my taste in music I'm pretty sure) says I've played this 25 times in the past three weeks.

5. Kings of Convenience – I’d Rather Dance With You : - Well well well, fancy meeting you here old friend. For those followers of Monday Music Club, you may remember that this showed up two weeks ago. Of course it's reappearance just speaks to how much this song has been stuck in my head over the past few months. Like the time I listened to it 40 times in a day. Or that other day where I heard it 22 times. Seriously.

Mei's Choices

1. Leona Lewis – Better In Time: Gotta give some massive big ups to my girl Leona, who used to work here in Hackney before winning Pop Idol! Thanks for the inspirational message, as well as the randomest music video ever. Seriously, what’s up with the horse and cloak? Shout outs to Liv and Kell and our obsessive Italian listening getting me going on this one.

2. Kanye West – Say You Will : This album has been a fixture in the overseas Go Game office since landing in Londontown. Maybe it’s cause he’s our American Boy? I’m feeling your 808s and Heartbreak, Kanyeezy.

Chris - I'm surprised your list didn't include 100 Kanye songs.

3. Keri Hilson featuring Kanye West and Ne-Yo – Knocks You Down : Another thanks to Liv, one of my bestest friends ever, for this song. It’s a powerhouse with up-and-comer Keri Hilson, my boy Ne-Yo from Monday Music Club V.1, and everyone’s favorite Mr. West. Love it.

Chris - Hey remember that time you were playing this so loudly on your iPhone on repeat that everybody on the 55 bus heard it four times? Good times..

4. Chaka Khan/Rufus – Tell Me Something Good : Always loved this song, happily discovered it on Chris’s iTunes once we got here, and now can’t stop listening to it. Chaka Khan is a GENIUS. Very much enjoyed the old school soul DJ who played this song during at a random Brazilian restaurant in Shoreditch on Saturday. Chris, Dave, Taylor, Ryan, and Paraag and I all sang along really loudly to Chaka, Aretha, Stevie, and all the other best artists of the century in our own little drunken karaoke wonderland. Chris even threw in the heavy breathing parts. Pretty spectacular evening if you ask me. BTW, Ryan writes a blog for Glamour mag, and although he didn’t mention our group sing-along on his European adventure blog post, I still know how much he cherished the experience.

Chris - A shout out to Sasha who introduced this song to me a billion years ago. This probably would have been on my list too.

5. Kanye West – Robocop : I know, I know, enough Kanye, right? Can’t help it. ‘Say You Will’ is the emotional one, ‘Robocop’ makes me laugh every time. Haha, that was a good one. Your first good one in a while.

Thanks for listening, peeps! Keep an eye out for a post on our super amazing Go Game for Good on Saturday, coming up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment